SWAPS Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://swaps.forumotion.com

Crackfilling - Do you fill between edge and curb and gutter? Empty Crackfilling - Do you fill between edge and curb and gutter?

Wed May 23, 2018 11:14 pm
I am looking to see how many communities in our group crackfill between the edge of pavement and the curb & gutter flange and how many don’t, and the reasons they do or don’t.

Last edited by Admin on Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
https://swaps.forumotion.com

Crackfilling - Do you fill between edge and curb and gutter? Empty Re: Crackfilling - Do you fill between edge and curb and gutter?

Wed May 23, 2018 11:15 pm
Crackfilling Survey
4-Apr-18

MUNICIPALITY CRACKFILL BETWEEN EDGE OF PAVEMENT AND C & G FLANGE COMMENTS
Watertown X We fill the crack here in Watertown, but am trying to weigh the cost benefit analysis of it.  Thank you all for weighing in!
West Allis X The City of West Allis also does the joint between the road and curb for same reason…to keep water from penetrating especially if its asphalt overlay.  We do nothing with the joint on the curb face. 
Janesville X Here in Janesville, we have had a lot of debate about this. I was previously in Fitchburg for 24 years. I never did the joint between the pavement and curb when I was there. It was a cost issue. I put more emphasis on pavement preservation with chip seals.  When I came to Janesville 4 years ago, they were crackfilling the joint. Despite staff’s objection in 2017 we didn’t do the joint. I was trying to catch up on crackfilling. Filling this joint can use up a lot of material, particularly if the pavement has separated from the curb.  This year we got an extra appropriation for crackfilling so we are back to doing the joint. I do think it makes sense to do if you can afford to.  With a typical road having a cross slope starting in the center, all your water has to run across the pavement and go over the joint to get to the curb and gutter.
Beloit X In Beloit we fill the edge on both asphalt and concrete.
Delavan X In Delavan we do it on a case by case basis. Some roads are very tight along the curb and almost overlap just a bit we leave those but others have more of a gap we do route and fill those.
DeForest X The Village of DeForest does crackfill the edge between the pavement and curb and gutter.  This prevents water from entering the crack and settling the pavement or curb.
Middleton We don’t seal the cracks between the asphalt road pavement and the flag edge of the concrete gutter.  For us, I think the deciding factor was mostly the length involved – given a choice in spending dollars, I’d rather seal cracks out in the part of the pavement were vehicles are driven.  I think the City of Madison seals those longitudinal cracks at the curb edge, but we haven’t had problems with either the curb or pavement by skipping them.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum